Stylist Story: Joshua O. Johnson

1:38 PM

I’m excited to introduce to you celebrity fashion stylist and ultimate fashion guru Joshua O. Johnson! I’ve been following his work for about a year and his work is absolutely amazing! I've had the pleasure to ask him about the fashion industry and his love for fashion! Check it out below! 


What made you want to be in the fashion industry?

What made me decide to be in the fashion industry was growing up watching my grandmother. She would wear fabulous sequin jackets, long dresses and furs. Also my late Aunt Molly inspired me, she was very fashionable and edgy. I have been in the fashion industry for about eight years now and I absolutely love it all.

I love your confidence and how you’re able to express yourself through your work! How do you keep your confidence going?  

OMG, what can I say? Hmmm I would definitely think It would be my motivation for staying in a happy place. So many people ask me that question and it is truly hard to figure that out for me. LOL. I just believe in always being yourself and staying FIERCE.




What are some of your favorite pieces and brands you love to use for your clients?

My favorite pieces of course would be Haute Couture the details that those designers do are absolutely stunning.

Favorite brands would be Tom Ford, J Mendel, Elie Saab, Jean Paul Gaultier, Maison Valentino and Versace.

Who are you looking forward to style in the future and why?

 I have one person who I would be honored to work with, and that would be actress Tilda Swinton because she's edgy, risky and a true fashion icon.


 
What has been a struggle for you in the fashion industry that you’ve had to overcome?  

The struggles I have to overcome were being taken advantage of and having to pretend to be something that I am not. Talking to Andre Leon Talley a few years back he told me to always be true to yourself and do it with style.



There is much talk about the new “Caitlyn Jenner”, do you think that she will have an influence (good or bad) in the fashion industry?

This is a touchy topic for some but for me I love talking about it; I appreciate the confidence that a mega star, a hero, father and grandfather finally understand what his life should be even at 65 years of age. The influence is either or some will look at it and say “wow that is amazing” but for some they will be negative. Now for the fashion industry I think it wouldn’t influential we already have other queens, gays, transgenders in the fashion industry who influence fashion already. They will accept Caitlyn Jenner and she will become part of the family.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to follow you in your footsteps in being a fashion stylist?

The best advice I can give anyone is to never get taken advantage of by anyone, know your worth and know why you love fashion. Celebrities are the worse ones to make you feel cheapen, but if you go in and set boundaries and have everything in black and white then you will be fine.





What is next for Joshua O. Johnson?

Well, I launched my own accessory line with my best friend J'cil White, which is doing so amazing but I do want to also venture into wardrobe. Becoming a fashion designer is a dream of mine. Stay tuned, there is absolutely more coming up.
 

How can we keep up with you!? (Social media, website, etc)

You can keep up with me through social media @joshuaomarjohnson ( IG), @pureandrogyny (IG) and our website is launching again In August for fall.  www.JoshuaomarJohnson.com


How FIERCE is Joshua?! I LOVE IT! I saw his work this past weekend on Erica Mena from Vh1’s Love & Hip-Hop, and she couldn’t have looked any classier! Be sure to keep with Joshua O. Johnson on his social media outlets!


JL
 
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Labels

Like us on Facebook