BOSS up, or get BOSSED around

9:15 AM

Now I know it sounds harsh, but let’s be honest. Everyone wants to be an entrepreneur but how are you going to do so if you’re always giving discounts or giving away free merchandise?! I never got into the fashion world to become rich. Starting out I didn’t even think it was possible! What I finally realized that people are paying for your time and that shit is valuable! That’s one thing that’s spent and you can’t get it back.


We’re in a time where people want your service but they either want it for a discount or for the free! If your close friend or family member is running a business, why wouldn’t you want to support them? Take everything a business owner have to pay for into consideration; shipping, gas, packaging, printer, paper, web hosting, etc. Start up businesses can’t afford discounts and freebies in the beginning.


I’m not saying don’t do freebies or discounts. When I give out merchandise or a service for free I have to think if it’s going to benefit my business marketing wise. Is this person going to spread the word, are they going to tag me on social media, and are they my ideal customer?


Next! I had to learn about the magic of deposits! There have been times where I’ve shown up to a shoot, did a service, and that person never paid me. Not even half! You live and you learn right…  



Contracts! I’m still working on having good language in my contracts. Right now I’m seeking a legal counsel to help me with this. In this business, merchandise is sometimes very expensive and I don’t want to be responsible for damaged items if it’s the client's fault. You break, you buy!

If you’re charging, make sure you’re doing the work people compensate for what you charge! It’s one thing setting a high price but you have to be able to give them your quality and best work.


I’m not going to lie I’m still a working progress. Money is a sensitive subject but if you don’t speak up, you won’t get paid! With that being said! Go get that paper boo boo!






















JL

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I totally agree. It's hard to make the transition from a free service to a paid gig. To many people look for free interns and discounted labor. This is a contribution to why millanials are expected to make a comparative lower income then our parents.

    I am loving this post because; while fashion is a very tangible business, people often forget about the intangible value that entrepreneurs have. You don't go to Nimen Marcus to haggle or to receive free style tips ultimately your expected to buy something since they work off commissions. To think that an entrepreneur doesn't have the same expectations because it is a one person show and you can take advantage of a relationship is how those relationships are often broken eventually yes free and discounted does offer a competitive advantage but if that is your first option to attract business then you are really doing your brand a disservice and ultimately in fashion your lowering a client expectations of your future service. Great post mam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! I was just saying to a friend that was giving away her product for free that she needs to make sure she gets tagged as the vendor and to make sure she hands out cards at the event. She said she felt like she was invading the event I told her girl you better boss up!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Labels

Like us on Facebook